News of the Screwed
The front page of the last ever edition of the News of the World is all over the internet, accompanied by quotes from staff bleating about the injustice of the paper’s closure by Murdoch management on the back foot. I did feel a touch of regret that a supposedly crusading paper fell victim to the actions of a dodgy few.
Not for long. Remembering the culture at News International which encouraged the cynical and illegal access to voicemails of murdered teenagers whilst their poor parents knew nothing of the fate of their children makes me ashamed of the British press as an institution (and not for the first time).
However cynical an attempt this is to preserve the other NI titles, good riddance. I hope people will continue to boycott the predicted “Sunday Sun” when it materialises.
- Murdoch flies to London amid phone-hacking crisis (msnbc.msn.com)
- 3 arrests in UK phone hacking scandal (msnbc.msn.com)
- UK’s News of the World bids farewell to readers (boston.com)
- Former News of the World editor arrested (salon.com)
- The Intrusive British Press (thedailybeast.com)
- Phone hacking scandal: Murdoch’s BSkyB bid – the News of the World’s latest victim (telegraph.co.uk)
- The News Of The World’s Greatest Hits (thenewspundit.com)