Salute Lewis Hamilton – 2008 FIA Formula One World Champion
It has been a while since my preview of the Brazilian Grand Prix and a long overdue congrats to Lewis Hamilton. The youngest and blackest ever Formula One Champion (the media seems to be obsessing on that – perhaps inevitable given the Obama effect!).
But what a final race ! With Torro Rosso’s young firebrand, Sebastian Vettle, denying Lewis the 5th place he needed with 2 laps to go, it was only the slip-slide cautiousness of Toyota driver Timo Glock that allowed the McLaren to slip past and take the place to ensure the Championship came to Britain. It is disappointing to hear the occasional cries of ‘fix’ from online pillocks who see a deal being made with Glock etc. in order that the “English owned” Formula One sees a Brit champion. What sour cobblers ! Of course, it was perfectly OK for Massa to hand the title to Raikonen last year. Shame on them.
Still, I was impressed by the quiet dignity of Felipe Massa. The Ferrari factory pilot was denied the Championship by Lewis’s good fortune, having driven a superlative race on home turf and following a great season. However, there is no question whatsoever that Hamilton deserves the crown. Despite the shenanigans with the abysmal stewardship this season and the vicious incompetence that is the FIA (see my related article), Lewis and the McLaren team overcame overt prejudice to triumph. I am so proud.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Formula one: Lewis Hamilton pledges his future to McLaren
- Lewis Hamilton Becomes Youngest F1 Champ [Lewis Hamilton Formula One World Champion]
- Extraordinary F1: the final race in pictures
- Lewis Hamilton takes Formula One title
- How Lewis Hamilton beat Felipe Massa to become Formula One world champion
- Formula One: Lewis Hamilton has described becoming the first black F1 champion as ‘hard’
- Hamilton: Repeating as F1 champion ‘very tough’
- VIDEO: Relive the 2008 F1 championship in 8 minutes
- Fernando Alonso named Best F1 Driver of 2008, Hamilton and Massa snubbed
- F1 champion Hamilton ecstatic after Brazil drama